The Simon Fellows Program serves as a capstone experience for outstanding Value Investing Concentrators interested in pursuing a deeper experience in buy-side investment management. Through applied research projects and firm visits, Simon Fellows gain significant exposure to buy-side firms including hedge funds, private equity firms, insurance companies, and mutual funds. Competitive candidates are those on track towards completing the Value Investing Concentration requirements and those expressing interest in buy-side roles after graduation.
Field Projects in Investing (4 Units)
This applied honors-level course gives students the opportunity to apply the skills learned in the Value Investing Concentration to real-world cases in investment management. Five teams comprised of four Simon Fellows will partner with a hosting investment firm to conduct a quarter-long project surrounding an investment thesis/question. This experience will help students shape their skills as investors — financial modeling, pitching, participate in a real-world investment committee — while strengthening their understanding of value investing.
Buy-Side Firm Visits
During these 2-4 hour firm visits, Simon Fellows will interact with investors in the buy-side community who will share their personal experiences and investment strategies. In addition to supplementing the Simon Fellows’ educational experience, these visits enhance ties between the UCLA Economics Department and the investment management community.
CFA Level 1 Exam (Optional)
The Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) credential is the professional standard of choice for more than 31,000 investment firms worldwide. When hiring leading firms demand investment professionals with real-world analytical skills, technical competence, and the highest professional standards, often requiring the CFA credential for consideration. Simon Fellows will receive support and preparation for the CFA Level 1 exam taking place in Dec. 2018 or June 2019.
How to Apply – Simon Fellows Program
In addition to the full set of lower division requirements for the Economics or Business Economics Major, Simon Fellows Program applicants must also satisfy the following:
- Committed to completing the Value Investing Concentration requirements
- Strong interest in a buy-side investing career
- Online Application Form (Submittable)
- Cover Letter (1-Page)
- Resume (1-Page)
- Essay Response (1-2 Pages):
- Describe your academic and career interests, and explain how and why the buy-side is a good fit for you.
- Thursday, February 1st, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. – Applications Sent to Students
- Thursday, February 22nd, 2019 at 12:00 p.m. – Applications Due
- Student applications will be reviewed by the Simon Fellows Program admissions committee.
- At the admissions committee discretion, phone/in-person interviews may also be scheduled.
- Students will be notified of their acceptance on Friday, March 1st, 2019 by 5:00 p.m. via email. All decisions are final.