Vivian Pan

Harold R. Mortenson Endowed Scholarship Recipient

Biography: Vivian Pan is an international student originally from Wenzhou, China, who is studying abroad with a dream of exploring the world. She is a third-year Business Economics student with a Statistics minor. Vivian is in the College Honors Program and is involved in different competitions and student organizations. She is the Chair of the External Committee at Eta Omega Chi, the vice president of Bruin Investment Group, and the founder of Bruin Business Analytics. She was a research assistant for faculty in the Economics Department as well. Beyond campus involvement, she has also completed internships in various fields such as advisory and marketing. In her spare time, she loves traveling and going karting.

Future Plans: In summer 2021, Vivian worked at Deloitte China as a risk advisory intern. She helped the team find key metrics for a digital risk assessment model for stock trading, created slides for the roadshow, and composed reports for the clients. The experience has motivated her to envision a career where she can utilize the skillsets to listen to others’ needs and propose solutions to problems. Therefore, she plans to pursue full-time opportunities in consulting or marketing upon graduation and earn a master’s degree after several years of professional experience.

What does the scholarship mean to me? It is my great honor to receive the Harold R. Mortenson Scholarship. The scholarship reduces the financial burden on my family who always gives me unconditional love and support. More importantly, it acknowledges all of my efforts in both academic and extra-curriculum works, making me more confident about my overall abilities. It also encourages me to further advance my performance and become a more well-rounded individual. Again, I would like to express enormous gratitude to the donors of the Harold R. Mortenson Scholarship and the Economics Department, and hope one day I can give back to the UCLA community.