Students majoring in the Department of Economics have the opportunity to take classes abroad, at a community college, or at another four-year university.

Business Economics and Economics majors may take a total of three upper division courses abroad or at another university to count towards their major requirements. Students cannot take these courses at the same time that they are enrolled as a student during the academic year (Fall, Winter, Spring).

To ensure that the classes taken elsewhere will count toward the major, students must submit course syllabi to the undergraduate counselors for pre-approval by the faculty.  The syllabi should be submitted via the MyUCLA Message Center. It is also recommended that students consult with a Department of Economics undergraduate counselor in 2263 Bunche Hall before taking any courses off campus.

Note that the Department typically approves courses for content only.  It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that each course transfers back to UCLA as a minimum of four upper division units.  This is determined by UCLA Undergraduate Admission.

Students wishing to take a class at a California community college in the summer should also review  ASSIST is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at a California community college can be applied at UCLA.  If you intend to take a G.E. at a community college, please consult with your general college counselor.